Thursday, August 20, 2015

Recipe: Super Easy Banana Ice Cream

 
 Today I have for you a recipe anybody can make. Now that I'm a mom, I love recipes that are extremely simple with only a few ingredients. Something that tastes yummy but takes mere moments to whip up? Yep, I'm all in.

This recipe I am calling "Super Easy Banana Ice Cream" - it's something I actually saw on Facebook, and decided to give it a try today since I happened to have bananas on hand. My husband loves ice cream, but I'm not a fan of all the sugar and calories, so it isn't something we buy often. I figured I would make this slightly healthier version.


This isn't your traditional homemade ice cream, which can be somewhat cumbersome to make. All you need is:

- Bananas
- Toppings/flavorings of your choice

....that is IT. See, I told you it was easy! I used 3 bananas because I didn't want to make a huge batch just in case I didn't like it (I will definitely make a bigger batch next time). I chose peanut butter and Planters Salted Caramel peanuts as my flavors.

Step one, cut a hole in a box...

Kidding, I'm kidding. This isn't that type of recipe.

Step 1: Slice Bananas

 Peel and slice the bananas.

Step 2: Cover & Freeze

 Cover the banana slices in an air-tight container (I'm really fancy so I used an old Chinese food container). Freeze the bananas until they are solid, about an hour or two should work.

Step 3: Process Bananas in Blender 

 Put your frozen banana slices in a blender/food processor and process until creamy. I added a splash of skim milk at this point because my blender needs a little liquid to get going.

Step 4: Add Stuff...Blend Again

Add your flavorings of choice to the creamy banana mixture. I added a glob of peanut butter (how's that for super specific measurements? Ha. I don't really measure things when I cook, I pretty much just eyeball; I would say I used maybe 1/4th cup...maybe less than that). As for the salted caramel peanuts, there wasn't much left in the container so I used the rest. Probably just a few tablespoons. Those peanuts are crazy amazing, by the way. Try them.
 
Blend it all up, pour the mixture back into your container, cover, and freeze.

Step 5: Freeze & Enjoy!

 And that's all there is to it!

I thought this came out pretty good. It isn't quite like real ice cream, it has more of a frozen yogurt type consistency, but it hits the spot when you want something cold and sweet. My husband really loved it and wants me to make it again soon, so, that's a plus!

I think it would be fun to come up with all kinds of combinations, I bet strawberries and chocolate would be awesome with it.

Let me know if you make this recipe and if you come up with any interesting combos.

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please keep things respectful! :-)