Thursday, June 27, 2013

Wine Steak Marinade: How to turn a cheap steak into something delicious

Sorry for no posts the last few days. My laptop went kaput - after downloading some free fonts and Photoshop brushes, the blue screen "of death" kept showing up. Not good! I can no longer use it for the time being. I have a guy taking a look at the laptop, and hopefully he can bring it back to normal. I do have a small old netbook I can use for the meantime, at least. It's kind of hard to type on this tiny keyboard, but I wanted to at least post something,

I'm working on my second quilt - It's coming along slowly but surely. Here's a peek:


Hey... how about a recipe?

I got some cheap steak on sale at the grocery store, and I wanted to figure out a way to make it super tender and juicy. The last time I made steak, it was rather tough to chew and dry.

I found this recipe online, and decided to try  it tonight. I did not use every ingredient on the list, I modified it based on personal preference and the ingredients I had on hand  - the ingredients I did use are in bold. My personal notes are in italic.

Ingredients

    • 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
    • 1/2 cup red wine
    • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
    • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    • 1/4 teaspoon oregano
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1 clove garlic, minced (I used garlic powder)
    • 1 teaspoon sugar
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon pepper (I used lemon pepper)  
    • Not in recipe, but I also added onion powder, about 2 TBSP each of: Worcestershire sauce, low sodium soy sauce, and BBQ sauce. 

Directions

  1. In a heavy-duty plastic food bag, mix all ingredients well.
  2. Place steak in marinade and seal bag tightly. (I also poked a few holes in the steak)
  3. Place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours, inverting bag every hour. (I marinated about 7 hours)
  4. Marinade can be used to baste steak while grilling.

The steak was absolutely delicious, juicy, and tender. My husband and I loved it. The longer you can marinate, the better, if you have time. I'm sure it would have been awesome if I used ALL the ingredients, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please keep things respectful! :-)