Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day thoughts

Today, as you know, is Father's Day.

This is a sad day for me.

My dad passed away from cancer in February. Father's Day is another reminder about the hole in my life from his absence. No more trying to find the best Father's Day card, no more wracking my brain for a decent gift to give him, no more making his favorite dark chocolate Ghiradelli brownies (with extra chocolate).

I have a lot of friends who complain about their fathers, about how annoying they are. What I wouldn't give for one more annoying lecture from my dad - him telling me how to manage my money in a more mature manner, or him steering me in the right direction when it came to making an important decision. Him giving me that little smile when I did something that made him proud.

I miss all those little moments.

My dad had a kind heart. He was a gentle spirit with a soft-spoken personality. He was a man of few words, but when he did speak, it was meaningful. He was never quick to anger, and he always dealt with problems with love and patience.

This day has passed by in a blur for me. Today I have remembered him with sadness. The sadness is for me - because I miss him in my life. The days, weeks, and months go by, and sometimes the sadness passes and sometimes it comes back strongly. My heart hurts every time I remember, yet again, he is not there. Though, I am glad he is no longer suffering and in pain.

He was a man of God and I know he is now with Jesus. That makes me glad. I look forward to seeing him again someday, when my time comes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please keep things respectful! :-)